A creative workspace for community artists of all disciplines to risk, explore and expand their craft.
From installation performance to improv comedy, a weekend of chamber music or a ten minute play festival, The Majestic Lab serves as an incubator space for artists of all ages and levels of experience. The Majestic Theatre is repurposing our Community Room to support a wide array of live performance and exhibition. This is a curated rental program underwritten by The Majestic designed to provide low cost opportunities for artists to receive space and support fostering new ideas and creative enterprise.
This intimate 50 seat space will be available for local artists to present projects from 1:00pm – 3:00pm weeks in length. The Lab is provided from 7:00pm – 10:30pm Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday each week of residency. Each approved project also receives up to 25 hours of supported workshop time in our rehearsal spaces. Availability of the rehearsal rooms is limited to the weekends and off-peak hours on weeknights (7:30 – 10:30pm).
Applicants can either opt to pay a direct fee per week for use of the facility or operate on a split income model from the ticket revenue with The Majestic. The direct fee per week is $150 plus $13.50/hour at times of public assembly (performances) that require a Majestic Theatre designated representative on site. The Majestic offers a student discount for projects of just $100/week. Student projects require a dedicated adult supervisor be present through the process and written parental consent from all minors involved in the proposed project. Set up and breakdown for the space is the responsibility of the project participants.
What kinds of projects would be appropriate to submit for The Lab? At its core, this is a format to foster artistic development for emerging and community artists.
- This is a great room for an actor with years on the stage who is looking to try their hand at directing.
- This is a great room for an experienced director and group of actors to tackle a small powerful work that may have themes or elements that simply would not be viable in a larger theater.
- This is a great room for a group of high school students looking to create and build their own work.
- This is a great room for a one-weekend singer/songwriter series.
- This is a great room for an improv comedy troupe to host a three week festival.
- This is a great room for a weekend of original composition for strings.
- This is a great room for a group of friends to produce a play that they’ve always wanted to make together.
- This might just be a great room for your idea or project.
The Majestic reviews submissions on a rolling basis.
The Majestic Lab program is curated by staff at The Majestic with select guest members invited from the arts community. Download information and APPLICATION FORM below.
Interviews will be scheduled with applicants who then have an opportunity to articulate their work and goals in greater detail in an in-person presentation. Majestic Lab participants must attend a series of short trainings for facility protocols and procedures. We will provide educational sessions for members interested in learning marketing, production and other aspects related to successfully producing and promoting a live event.
Be sure to receive updates on The Majestic Lab and other artist programs at The Majestic. Please write firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list.